Should the library version follow the KDE release version?

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed May 2 18:30:39 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Stefan Majewsky <
stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I'm currently working on the libkdegames build system. For a major
> cleanup, libkdegames is breaking source and binary compatibility in
> the 4.9 release. I figured this is the right time to move away from a
> self-installed find-script to a ProjectConfig.cmake file.
>
> Now I'm wondering about the version numbers. The 4.8 release had:
>
>    set_target_properties(kdegames PROPERTIES VERSION 5.1.0 SOVERSION 5)
>
> When I broke compatibility, I had bumped this to 6.0.0 and 6, respectively.

First of all: You can never go backwards on the so-version.

> My problem is the following: I understand that installing a
> KDEGamesConfigVersion.cmake file should allow third-party projects to
> write something like this into their CMakeLists.txt:
>
>    find_package(KDEGames 4.9.0 REQUIRED)
>
> But I think they need to write "6.0.0", since that's the version of
> the library. But I want to have the KDE release number in there. Can
> one solve this problem?

I don't know where you learned this, but its wrong. The version number is
being checked either in the config-file directly, or by a separate
version-file. And that file is usually generated during the build with
hardcoded base-numbers. So the version of the package has no correlation to
the version number embedded into the shared library that the package may
contain.

Andreas