Should the library version follow the KDE release version?

Stefan Majewsky stefan.majewsky at googlemail.com
Wed May 2 18:19:03 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm currently working on the libkdegames build system. For a major
cleanup, libkdegames is breaking source and binary compatibility in
the 4.9 release. I figured this is the right time to move away from a
self-installed find-script to a ProjectConfig.cmake file.

Now I'm wondering about the version numbers. The 4.8 release had:

    set_target_properties(kdegames PROPERTIES VERSION 5.1.0 SOVERSION 5)

When I broke compatibility, I had bumped this to 6.0.0 and 6, respectively.

My problem is the following: I understand that installing a
KDEGamesConfigVersion.cmake file should allow third-party projects to
write something like this into their CMakeLists.txt:

    find_package(KDEGames 4.9.0 REQUIRED)

But I think they need to write "6.0.0", since that's the version of
the library. But I want to have the KDE release number in there. Can
one solve this problem?

Greetings
Stefan

P.S. Please answer on kde-devel@, the CC is just to get attention from