hidden visibility

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 18:35:59 UTC 2012

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> On Saturday 18 February 2012, David Faure wrote:
>> On Friday 17 February 2012 18:31:58 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>> > I'm not quite sure in the code above in which cases there is a "bad
>> > allocator", and whether "-Werror=return-type
>> > -fvisibility-inlines-hidden" is something everybody should do or not.
>>
>> -Werror=return-type is completely unrelated. It has been moved there
>> because this is inside  if (GCC_IS_NEWER_THAN_4_2), and this flag didn't
>> exist before 4.2. See commit 66027ca3a94848246eef2618a342ddc6ece0a00c.
>>
>> Bad allocator is probably about old versions of gcc too.
>
> Thanks.
>
>> I would think we can drop all these "old gcc" hacks in frameworks.
>
> I was thinking about this too, but I came to the conclusion that the file
> KDECompilerSettings.cmake, as it is now, i.e. including the stuff for
> these old compilers, can be used by *any* other project too, not only KDE
> frameworks, and those are free to use older compiler versions.

For what it's worth, I don't think we should have code in ecm which appears
to work with older compilers unless we actually test it. None of us (I
presume?) are still using GCC 4.1 or 4.2 and want to use 'the KDE compiler
settings' with it.

If in the future someone comes along who wants to have that stuff built into
ECM/KDE settings, they should commit to maintaining it and it can be added
then, no? Otherwise it's just dead untested code.

Thanks,

Steve.