extra-cmake-modules installs into versionned dir

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Feb 18 22:57:01 UTC 2012

On Saturday 18 February 2012 18:45:54 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Saturday 18 February 2012, David Faure wrote:
> > Same problem as what we fixed in kdepimlibs long ago...
> >
> > extra-cmake-modules installed itself into
> >
> >   share/extra-cmake-modules-0.0.2
> >
> > and after updating it now installs itself into
> >
> >   share/extra-cmake-modules-0.0.3
> >
> > which means that 1) the cmakecache.txt in kdelibs pointing to 0.0.2
> > creates
> > much trouble, one has to clean up the cache to be able to compile kdelibs
> > again,
>
> Why, what has been broken ?
> I tested it here, and it worked just fine for me.

I had errors about Qt5Transitional not being found (it's only in 0.0.3,
right?), then errors about KDE4Internal not being found (I fixed that one). But
before all that I had

install TARGETS given unknown argument "EXPORT".

which is what led me to update cmake+ECM.

> > and 2) as long as kdelibs's toplevel CMakeLists.txt said "0.0.2", it would
> > pick up the 0.0.2 subdir, even after cleaning up the cache!
>
> It picks any matching version, i.e. 0.0.2 or 0.0.3.

But if you have both installed, it will pick 0.0.2, right?

> > Can we PLEASE get rid of the version number in the install directory?
> > It's way more trouble than any benefit it might bring.
> >
> > If one day we want co-installable incompatible releases,
>
> I want to have co-installable releases right from the beginning.
>
> If you have 0.0.2, and your CMakeLists.txt says:
> find_package(ecm 0.0.2)
> and everything works, everything is fine. 0.0.3 next to it shouldn't create
> any problems.
> 0.0.3 has new stuff, if you want to use it, you have to depend on it:
> find_package(ecm 0.0.3)
> then you get the newer version (but I wouldn't do this right now, 0.0.2 is
> fine).

Clearly it doesn't -- I wasn't the only one who couldn't configure kdelibs
today.
If you find out what went wrong we can revert the min number in kdelibs
toplevel CMakeLists.txt... but I'm not sure that supporting multiple versions
of ECM is worth the trouble?