extra-cmake-modules installs into versionned dir

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Feb 18 17:45:54 UTC 2012

On Saturday 18 February 2012, David Faure wrote:
> Same problem as what we fixed in kdepimlibs long ago...
>
> extra-cmake-modules installed itself into
>   share/extra-cmake-modules-0.0.2
> and after updating it now installs itself into
>   share/extra-cmake-modules-0.0.3
>
> which means that 1) the cmakecache.txt in kdelibs pointing to 0.0.2 creates
> much trouble, one has to clean up the cache to be able to compile kdelibs
> again,

Why, what has been broken ?
I tested it here, and it worked just fine for me.

> and 2) as long as kdelibs's toplevel CMakeLists.txt said "0.0.2", it would
> pick up the 0.0.2 subdir, even after cleaning up the cache!

It picks any matching version, i.e. 0.0.2 or 0.0.3.
If you want 0.0.3, it has to say "0.0.3".

> Can we PLEASE get rid of the version number in the install directory?
> It's way more trouble than any benefit it might bring.
>
> If one day we want co-installable incompatible releases,

I want to have co-installable releases right from the beginning.

If you have 0.0.2, and your CMakeLists.txt says:
find_package(ecm 0.0.2)
and everything works, everything is fine. 0.0.3 next to it shouldn't create
any problems.
0.0.3 has new stuff, if you want to use it, you have to depend on it:
find_package(ecm 0.0.3)
then you get the newer version (but I wouldn't do this right now, 0.0.2 is
fine).