Strange commit to FindKDE4Internal.cmake

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Feb 17 16:33:34 UTC 2012

On Friday 17 February 2012, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> Am 17.02.2012 15:07, schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
>
> Hi Alex
>
> > I saw a recent commit from you to FindKDE4Internal.cmake:
> > http://quickgit.kde.org/index.php?p=kdelibs.git&a=commitdiff&h=ca501aa9f4
> > c1e7adcd42accbd53538502ba50ce3&hp=3186e7a5f3acfaa5b5ac1b5cce9315eb53f5465
> > 5
> >
> > with the commit message "on win32 we need access to the installed cmake
> > modules dir ".
> > This looks wrong. Why do you add
> > ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/apps/cmake/modules to CMAKE_MODULE_PATH ?
> > In general this directory does not even exist at buildtime (since you can
> > install to anywhere).
> > Who did you need ?
> > We ned to do that properly.
> > It would be great if you could join the kde-frameworks mailing list, so
> > we can make sure that the modularized kdelibs work properly under
> > Windows too.
> >
> > Alex
>
> This  related to the commit before
> http://quickgit.kde.org/index.php?p=kdelibs.git&a=commit&h=3186e7a5f3acfaa5
> b5ac1b5cce9315eb53f54655, which moves out FindKDEWin.cmake and related from
> kdelibs into kdewin package.

Ok, this previous commit was wrong.
Please move these three files back, and remove that line again.

A library must never install the Find-module for itself.

This defeats the purpose. This is like putting the remote control right next
to the TV, or the treasure map right into the treasure chest. You don't know
where the plan is, but once you found the plan, you already found what you are
interested in and don't need the plan anymore.

Additionally, in general ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX} does not have to exist yet at
cmake time, so it only happens to work if you "accidentially" use the same
install prefix as you used for kdewin32.

So, in the 4.x branch, please move these files back to kdelibs.
For the frameworks branch, they will go into extra-cmake-modules, so they will
be available to you (after a find_package(extra-cmake-modules).

Ideally the kdewin32 library should install a cmake config file for itself.
But let's wait with this until cmake 2.8.8 has been released.