TestCocoon support for KDE build system

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 20:12:58 UTC 2011

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> Hi Sebastien,
>
> On Saturday, August 27, 2011 05:09:12 PM Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> Sébastien Fricker wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I guessing if there are some interests to integrate a support of
>> > TestCocoon into the KDE build system.
>> >
>> > TestCocoon is an open source code coverage tool which includes a
>> > graphical interface and which instrument C++ applications up to the
>> > decision/condition level.
>> > TestCocoon would permit to collect the coverage information of the unit
>> > test of the KDE project but also from each beta tester. This would give
>> > a better overview of the test quality. Also it is possible to work on
>> > differences between two releases, this permits to check if a hot fix is
>> > correctly tested.
>
> So, this is an alternative coverage tool ?
> Then first support for that should be added to cmake/ctest/cdash, I guess
> ? The cmake developers are usually very interested in stuff like that.
> Did you already contact them on the cmake or cmake-developers mailing list
> ?

I've pushed the testcocoon stuff to the grantlee repo.

You can try it out by installing testcocoon and then:

cd grantlee
mkdir tc_coverage_build && cd tc_coverage_build
cmake .. -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=TestCocoon -
DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=../cmake/modules/TestCocoonToolchain.cmake
make
make testcocoon

Then start coveragebrowser and open the unittest.csmes file which is now in
CMAKE_BINARY_DIR.

The subject of TestCocoon should be brought up on the cmake list though. The
inability to use

  set_target_properties(foo PROPERTIES VERSION ... SOVERSION ...)

would need to be solved before this can be useful to KDE, as well as the way
plugins are instrumented, build flags allowed/not allowed etc.

Thanks,

Steve.