TestCocoon support for KDE build system

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 20:12:58 UTC 2011

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> Hi Sebastien,
> On Saturday, August 27, 2011 05:09:12 PM Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> Sébastien Fricker wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I guessing if there are some interests to integrate a support of
>> > TestCocoon into the KDE build system.
>> >
>> > TestCocoon is an open source code coverage tool which includes a
>> > graphical interface and which instrument C++ applications up to the
>> > decision/condition level.
>> > TestCocoon would permit to collect the coverage information of the unit
>> > test of the KDE project but also from each beta tester. This would give
>> > a better overview of the test quality. Also it is possible to work on
>> > differences between two releases, this permits to check if a hot fix is
>> > correctly tested.
> So, this is an alternative coverage tool ?
> Then first support for that should be added to cmake/ctest/cdash, I guess
> ? The cmake developers are usually very interested in stuff like that.
> Did you already contact them on the cmake or cmake-developers mailing list
> ?

I've pushed the testcocoon stuff to the grantlee repo.

You can try it out by installing testcocoon and then:

cd grantlee
mkdir tc_coverage_build && cd tc_coverage_build
cmake .. -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=TestCocoon -
make testcocoon

Then start coveragebrowser and open the unittest.csmes file which is now in

The subject of TestCocoon should be brought up on the cmake list though. The
inability to use

  set_target_properties(foo PROPERTIES VERSION ... SOVERSION ...)

would need to be solved before this can be useful to KDE, as well as the way
plugins are instrumented, build flags allowed/not allowed etc.