frameworks branch now requires CMake 2.8.6 RC 2

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 20:17:31 UTC 2011

Stephen Kelly wrote:

> With these features it is possible to build individual kde frameworks
> standalone. I can now cmakekde in itemmodels or in tier1 (because the
> tier1 libraries do not have dependencies on each other).
>
> Please review the ECMQtFramework.cmake file which makes this possible.

Something else I forgot to mention in my previous mail: By porting to extra-
cmake-modules, away from the macros that are already in kdelibs
(kde4_add_library) I dropped some features. We need to consider those
features and answer the questions:

* Is it still needed?
* Should it be in ecm?
* Should it be in cmake?

kde4_add_library handles automoc, rpath, export symbols, enable_final, and
it sets the LINK_INTERFACE_LIBRARIES to empty.

With cmake 2.8.6, that macros automoc and exports handling are obsolete. I
added some rpath handling to ecm in ECMQtFramework.

That leaves enable_final and setting LINK_INTERFACE_LIBRARIES to empty. I'm
not sure either are still needed or wanted (this was also brought up at the
buildsystem BoF in BDS).

Do we still need enable_final?

Should it be in cmake?
-- Reading the macros, it looks like it has some limitations cmake doesn't
have - generated files are excluded from the feature so as not to mess with
cmake dependency resolution, and moc files are not included in the feature.
It could be better done by cmake itself if it makes sense at all. Do we have
any up-to-date data saying it is useful?

Thanks,

Steve.