[kdelibs] cmake/modules: A FindXYZ.cmake file should not use macro_log_feature imho.

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Jun 30 22:08:52 CEST 2011

On Wednesday 29 June 2011, Michael Jansen wrote:
> Git commit 02e1ba357e730bc6e4a1aa7bf496e880209fdf9d by Michael Jansen.
> Committed on 29/06/2011 at 17:28.
> Pushed by mjansen into branch 'master'.
>
> A FindXYZ.cmake file should not use macro_log_feature imho.

Actually I don't agree.
(but I don't object the patch)

I think ideally, each find_package() call should result in the respective
information recorded somewhere (i.e. homepage of the project and what that
thing is).

Probably then there is a second "level", where the using project should
describe what that package is good for in this specific project.

So that the CMakeLists.txt would do sometzhging like:

find_package(PNG)
set_feature_usage(PNG "Enables saving images in FooApplication")

and the log would say:

The following optional packages were not found:
* PNG (http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/), The PNG compressed lossless image
format library: Enables saving images in FooApplication

Do you think this makes sense ?

There is the file FeatureSummary.cmake in CMake, which I'd like to extend so
that it does everything we need and we can get rid of our own (older)
MacroLogFeature.cmake.

Comments ?