Why are KDE includes installed with COMPONENT Devel?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 00:30:20 CEST 2011

Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> On 19.06.11 22:51:13, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> I noticed that includes in KDE are always installed with COMPONENT Devel.
>>
>> Does anyone know why? As far as I can tell, the COMPONENT is only
>> relevant to CPack, which AFAIK KDE doesn't use.
>
> No, its also usable on the commandline with a make install
> CMAKE_INSTALL_COMPONENT=Devel. This could in theory be used to make it
> easier to generate binary packages in distro scripts, since there don't
> need to be any manual selection of files/folders to fetch only parts of
> a full install tree for the -devel package.
>
> For all people just doing a make install it does not matter anyway.

Cool, thanks for the explanation.

> Do you have a problem with the COMPONENT being used?

Nope. I'm looking into CPack for Grantlee and I use COMPONENT there
(probably because of the KDE influence and not having a clue).

I noticed that things that are not in the Devel component (everything else)
goes into a Unspecified component, and different tarballs with the TGZ
generator.

I also noticed that that behaviour no longer happens with cmake/cpack
master. Everything is put in one tarball instead with that version. I don't
know if that's a bug or a feature, but if it's a feature it's a source
incompatibility in cmake.

Steve.