RFC: replacing MacroLogFeature.cmake with FeatureSummary.cmake

Sune Vuorela debian at pusling.com
Thu Jul 14 12:20:50 CEST 2011

On Thursday 14 July 2011 03:42:01 Michael Jansen wrote:
> On Thursday 14 July 2011 10:49:50 Ian Wadham wrote:
> > On 14/07/2011, at 5:16 AM, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > What do you think of this ?
> > > More wishes ?
> > > Should it do it in a different way ?
> >
> > Very nice.  I especially like the PURPOSE concept.
> >
> > As we discussed before, in connection with use of OpenAL sound
> > in some games, could it be possible to have grades of requirement
> > in between REQUIRED and OPTIONAL?  They would not bomb out
> > the cmake run, but should issue some stronger message that the
> > requirement was not met than just saying it was "optional".
>
> I would suggest RECOMMENDED. Like it works without but we think its really
> less useful then.
>
> OPTIONAL would be stuff then that enabled additional functionality that is
> not really needed for all of us. like something that add iphone support.
> not everyone has one.

Several packaging systems has 3 levels of relations.
stuff that must be there.
     RPM-language: Requires. Deb-language: Depends.

optional stuff that should be there by default on normal systems
     RPM-language: Recommends. Deb-language: Recommends

Optional stuff that gives something extra
     RPM-language: Suggests. Deb-language: Suggests.

Maybe we could be inspired by that?

Note that on debian systems, apt and aptitude installs Depends and Recommends
by default, and allows Recommends to be removed without removing other
package.
Yum don't know about Recommends nor Suggests and just installs Required
packages.

/Sune
--
Genius, I cannot doubleclick the OpenGL fan over a file to the ISA attachment
on the device of the fan, how does it work?

From Word you neither must doubleclick on the 4X driver, nor should insert a
SIMM to boot a coaxial icon.