Umbrello wants to add the svn version to it's version string

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Mon Jul 11 08:49:39 CEST 2011

On Sunday 10 July 2011 18:18:01 Michael Jansen wrote:
> Hi
>
> With commit 5d5674cbd26deecbb82c76c55581b21957b00508 in kdesdk andi tried to
> add the subversion string to the umbrello version. The current
> implementation has some drawbacks.
>
>   - Only works in svn checkouts (yeah i know)
>   - Fails the configuration step everywhere else (git-svn for me, i guess
>     released package too (tgz)) if subversion is found.
>
> CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindSubversion.cmake:83 (MESSAGE):
>   Command "/usr/bin/svn info
>   /home/mjansen/kde/trunk/src/devel/kdesdk/umbrello/umbrello" failed with
>   output:
>
>   svn: '/home/mjansen/kde/trunk/src/devel/kdesdk/umbrello/umbrello' is not a
> working copy
>
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>   umbrello/umbrello/CMakeLists.txt:11 (Subversion_WC_INFO)
>
> Do we have some common flexible solution somewhere?

Not as a reusable module AFAIK, but we had this code duplicated in at least
akonadi and kdepim[-runtime]. It's now replaced by the Git equivalent, but you
should still find the SVN one in the history. It did check for non-svn
scenarios (git-svn, tarballs, etc) at least.

> Since i guess that is/will be a common desire perhaps we can together create
> a solution that works everywhere.
>
> @Andi Please revert you change until we have a common solution. As a short
> fix check for a .svn directory in CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR and only try to execute
> that stuff if found.
>
> My idea would be something like that
>
> ECM_GET_VCS_VERSION( [DIRECTORY source_dir] )
>
> Check in the directory for a .git dir -> git checkout -> try git svn info ->
> try some git log
> Check in the directory for a .svn dir -> try svn whatever
> Else: No version

Sounds good, I hate copy/pasting this code all over the place (I also need it
in work projects) :)

regards
Volker