Umbrello wants to add the svn version to it's version string

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Jul 10 18:51:13 CEST 2011

On Sunday 10 July 2011, Michael Jansen wrote:
> Hi
>
> With commit 5d5674cbd26deecbb82c76c55581b21957b00508 in kdesdk andi tried
> to add the subversion string to the umbrello version. The current
> implementation has some drawbacks.
>
>   - Only works in svn checkouts (yeah i know)
>   - Fails the configuration step everywhere else (git-svn for me, i guess
>     released package too (tgz)) if subversion is found.
>
> CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake/Modules/FindSubversion.cmake:83 (MESSAGE):
>   Command "/usr/bin/svn info
>   /home/mjansen/kde/trunk/src/devel/kdesdk/umbrello/umbrello" failed with
>   output:
>
>   svn: '/home/mjansen/kde/trunk/src/devel/kdesdk/umbrello/umbrello' is not
> a working copy
>
> Call Stack (most recent call first):
>   umbrello/umbrello/CMakeLists.txt:11 (Subversion_WC_INFO)
>
> Do we have some common flexible solution somewhere?

No.

> Since i guess that is/will be a common desire perhaps we can together
> create a solution that works everywhere.
>
> @Andi Please revert you change until we have a common solution. As a short
> fix check for a .svn directory in CMAKE_SOURCE_DIR and only try to execute
> that stuff if found.
>
> My idea would be something like that
>
> ECM_GET_VCS_VERSION( [DIRECTORY source_dir] )
>
> Check in the directory for a .git dir -> git checkout -> try git svn info
> -> try some git log
> Check in the directory for a .svn dir -> try svn whatever
> Else: No version

Yes, maybe.
Somehow I'm currently not to keen on adding already new stuff to extra-cmake-
modules. I'd like to get the number of our own addons down.

Maybe for now there should be a check for a .svn directory. Or maybe such a
check could be integrated directly into FindSubversion.cmake ?
2.8.5 has just been released, so now is the time to get stuff in for 2.8.6
(which we'll hopefully depend on around of this year).