PolKit and KDE4_AUTH_POLICY_FILES_INSTALL_DIR

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Mon Feb 21 23:22:53 CET 2011

On 21.02.11 22:10:37, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Monday 21 February 2011, Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
> > Andreas Pakulat wrote:

> > > And how do I do that if my polkit-qt-1 comes from my distro, but I want
> > > my KDE self-built?
> >
> > No way. Look at this thread: http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-
> > buildsystem&m=128172726424982&w=2
> >
> > I can prepare a patch but I think that it's Alex who should make a
> > decision.
>
> The normal way to handle this would be to have a variable
> POLICY_FILES_INSTALL_DIR in kdelibs, set via _set_fancy() (i.e. by default it
> inherits itsd location from CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH, but can be set to any other
> value via the cache), store that value from kdelibs into a
> KDE4_POLICY_FILES_INSTALL_DIR, which will be the default then for anything
> using kdelibs, but which can again be changed via the cache.
>
> When I proposed that Dario said it should be different for the policy kit
> stuff, so I'd prefer to let him comment on this.

I don't think there's any reason to install outside the install prefix.
Think about cases where people can actually not install system-wide
because they do not have root access. Still they might want to install
KDE on the platform and maybe they don't care about the policykit stuff.
In such a case it should still be easy to install KDE, without the
necessity to hack on the cmake files (which most people won't be able to
do). Yes the policykit does not work at all when installed anywhere but
/usr (which I think is a design-error in policykit, but thats for
another list), but that does not mean we should require anybody
compiling KDE to be able to get root-rights or mess with his /usr
directory which is usually handled by his packaging system. Or maybe I'm
just missing something (I currently install polkit-qt-1 into my KDE
prefix as distro packages are too old so can't try this out) and thats
already possible?

Andreas

--
You have a truly strong individuality.