An attempt at creating a reference for new developers

Michael Jansen kde at michael-jansen.biz
Thu Aug 18 15:54:37 UTC 2011

Hi

I started to write on a book or however you would call it that i hope oneday
will be able to ease new developers into our project.

Currently the main focus is on cmake without kde and setting up an project of
the size of kde manually. All the dirty little secrets like visibility-hidden,
export macro, how to find dependencies with cmake and so on should eventually
be covered.

All that stuff will help a new dev understand how our buildsystem works. When
done it should be easy to add a chapter about kde and mention how we solved
that problem and how we use cmake.

I am currently at about 40 pages (it is done in latex so about 30 with
content). The part i consider ready is the description of the cmake module
mode and before i go further (config mode and then adding libraries,
executables ...) i hope to get feedback on everything

- style
- wording
- possible content
- ...
- whatever comes to your mind as long as its civil.

http://uploads.michael-jansen.biz/cmake-book.pdf

Mike

--
Michael Jansen