Serializing possibly resource-intensive tasks such as meinproc

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Jan 11 21:59:46 CET 2010

On Monday 11 of January 2010, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Friday 08 January 2010, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > On Thursday 07 of January 2010, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > > a more generic solution would be recognizing a KDE4_TOOL_WRAPPER cmake
> > > variable and prepending it to all non-c-compiler executables.
> >
> >  How about the attached patch then?
>
> Looks quite ok.
> The name "KDE4_SERIALIZE_TOOL" is quite generic, but in the patch it is
> used only for meinproc4, so this doesn't really match.

 Coolo suggested to me how to make icecream serialize only down to the number
of CPUs instead of 1, so I can try that. In that case KDE4_SERIALIZE_TOOL
could be used for anything people would want, although I myself care only
about meinproc.

 In fact, it'd be probably worth sending it to cmake upstream, I bet somebody
has already reported them various cmake's shortcomings in dealing with
parallel make when compared to unsermake.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer
 l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org