CMAKE_LINKER

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Aug 1 22:34:32 CEST 2010

On Friday 30 July 2010, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 30.07.10 16:42:12, Michael Jansen wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I can't get that var to work. whatever i put into it it's not used. Any
> > idea why? I can confirm it's set in CMakeCache.txt but the link.txt and
> > relink.txt files ignore it.
>
> According to Bug 8065 in the cmake bugtracker its an internal variable (its
> also not documented) and apparently cmake doesn't use the linker setup
> there (at least for C++ apps), but instead uses the C++ compiler. If you
> want to know why I guess your best bet is to get the cmake sources and look
> it up, right after asking on the CMake list.

CMAKE_LINKER is used only in some rare cases, I think it was e.g. when
building for eCos, an embedded RTOS, where you link the executable with a
whole lot of special arguments for ld, and maybe for some other embedded
stuff.
Nevertheless it exists as a generic variable in all cases so that in case you
want to invoke the linker to do something, or cmake later on wants to do
something with it (...like maybe something with static and shared libs), then
it is already there.