kdelibs modularizing (kde-mobile)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Apr 10 19:34:14 CEST 2010

On Thursday 08 April 2010, Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> Hi,
> one thing that was discussed at the Tokamak 4 sprint was "KDE going
> mobile". We started a little investigation to look at kdelibs.
> One thing to consider with the mobile world is that size matters ;)
> And even for netbook environments it would be nice to have a smaller disk-
> footprint. This might even benefit the desktop (you guessed it).
>
> But since mobile would be completely new platforms, we think it justified
> to wreak some havoc - maybe breaking some binary compatibility in certain
> places (on that target platform only).
>
> To make this effort sustainable, help from our build system experts is
> needed. Since I know cmake too little to have a good estimation how this
> should be implemented, I'd appreciate your comments (and attached a patch
> anyway, for your amusement).

Doesn't look too bad, but I wouldn't commit it before there is something which
also uses this.

One comment: you are using braces in an if-clause. This has been introduced to
cmake in 2.6.3, we are still requiring 2.6.2. So if we don't upgrade our
required cmake version, this can't go in.

I think for KDE 4.6 we'll require the most recent cmake version then (2.8.2 or
2.8.3 I guess).

> The idea is to define some KDE_PLATFORM_PROFILEs that in turn can enable
> more fine grained switches to change things during the kdelibs build.
> (see discussion on kde-maemo about that)
>
> Another aspect would be modularization of kdelibs. In order to gain entry
> to a new platform where sometimes the entire space for applications is

I fully support this, and I think it would be nice if the discussion about
this would happen on a central KDE list, i.e. k-c-d or here.