kdelibs modularizing (kde-mobile)

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Thu Apr 8 11:43:18 CEST 2010

Hi,
one thing that was discussed at the Tokamak 4 sprint was "KDE going mobile".
We started a little investigation to look at kdelibs.
One thing to consider with the mobile world is that size matters ;)
And even for netbook environments it would be nice to have a smaller disk-
footprint. This might even benefit the desktop (you guessed it).

But since mobile would be completely new platforms, we think it justified to
wreak some havoc - maybe breaking some binary compatibility in certain places
(on that target platform only).

To make this effort sustainable, help from our build system experts is needed.
Since I know cmake too little to have a good estimation how this should be
implemented, I'd appreciate your comments (and attached a patch anyway, for
your amusement).

The idea is to define some KDE_PLATFORM_PROFILEs that in turn can enable more
fine grained switches to change things during the kdelibs build.
(see discussion on kde-maemo about that)

Another aspect would be modularization of kdelibs. In order to gain entry to a
new platform where sometimes the entire space for applications is guaranteed
to be "at least 32 mb" (MeeGo reference). I think this is where our packagers
should have a say also.

So this is also a call to packagers to give their opinion how splitting up
would be least painful. Or could be improved, as I just heard that some are
doing this already.

Please cc kde-maemo at kde.org.

Cheers
Frederik