[CMake] CMake 2.8.0 RC 1 ready for testing!

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Wed Sep 30 03:56:59 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 29 September 2009 16:05:38 Matt Williams wrote:
> 2009/9/29 Alexander Neundorf <a.neundorf-work at gmx.net>:
> > On Tuesday 29 September 2009, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:

> >> Do we promise source compatibility for C++ files? I thought we only
> >> promised *binary* compatibility through KDE 4.x but not *source*.
> >
> > Didn't really find it for KDE now (except here:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE), but for Qt:
> > http://qt.gitorious.org/qt/pages/CodingConventions#Binary+and+Source+Comp
> >atibility
>
> It's mentioned at
> http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/SVN_Commit_Policy#Code_review_by_other_dev
> elopers and http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/CMake_and_Source_Compatibility
>  (written by you :D)
>
> However, (I'm no expert, but) I can't think of a time where you could
> break source compatibility while keeping binary compatibility. Or at
> least it's strange to require one but not the other.

Easy.

You compile KApp 4.0 on kdelibs 4.0.

2 years later you upgrade your distro and now kdelibs is a shiny 4.3 (but
you're still happily running KApp 4.0).

You decide to play with new g++ features and recompile KApp 4.0 against
kdelibs 4.3, only to discover that now it won't build at all!

This is breaking source compatibility while maintaining binary compatibility.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne