Include FindKDevPlatform.cmake in kdelibs

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Oct 19 18:47:45 CEST 2009

On Sunday 18 October 2009, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 17.10.09 16:20:11, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to move FindKDevPlatform.cmake to kdelibs/cmake/modules so that
> > it can be used from various modules in trunk/KDE and playground. In
> > particular all the plugins in
> > playground/devtools/kdevelop4-extra-plugins need it and its currently
> > installed together with kdevplatform. That of course is not a good
> > solution.
> >
> > I'm attaching the current version, let me know of any comments you have
> > on it.
>
> One thing I haven't thought about apparently is the following (thanks
> again Maciej for hitting me with a board until I realized):
>
> kdevelop4 depends on KDE 4.3 only at least currently to make it possible
> for people to build the beta's on their existing 4.3 system (using
> distro packages). If I now move the FindKDevPlatform.cmake to kdelibs,
> this will and can happen only in trunk/, it'll not be found anymore when
> installing kdevplatform on a 4.3 system.
>
> Possible solutions I can see:
>
> - copy the find-module also to the 4.3 branch and have kdevelop depend
>   on the next 4.3 patch release. I don't like this as its not a bugfix
>   commit and depending on a patchlevel release is not nice

Well, it adds a new file, so it can't break anything, so I wouldn't see a
problem there.
Only thing is that kdevelop will depend on versions of KDE 4.3 which have not
been released yet.

> - copy the find-module to kdelibs/trunk and kdevelop/trunk so we have a
>   duplicate until kdevelop depends on KDE 4.4. I don't like the
>   duplicate-part obviously..
> - Move the file to kdelibs/trunk and make kdevelop depend on KDE 4.4.
>   Thats going to frustrate quite some users.
> - Copy the file to kdelibs/trunk and leave it in kdevplatform until we
>   require KDE 4.4. This is going to create a file conflict for
>   distributions, so not very nice either.
>
> Did I miss one that works better than option 2? Else I'll do that one.

Yes, I think I would prefer that one too.

Could you please also post the cmake files installed by kdevplatform (which
are found by this one here) ?