Include FindKDevPlatform.cmake in kdelibs

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Sun Oct 18 14:50:53 CEST 2009

On 17.10.09 16:20:11, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to move FindKDevPlatform.cmake to kdelibs/cmake/modules so that
> it can be used from various modules in trunk/KDE and playground. In
> particular all the plugins in
> playground/devtools/kdevelop4-extra-plugins need it and its currently
> installed together with kdevplatform. That of course is not a good
> solution.
>
> I'm attaching the current version, let me know of any comments you have
> on it.

One thing I haven't thought about apparently is the following (thanks
again Maciej for hitting me with a board until I realized):

kdevelop4 depends on KDE 4.3 only at least currently to make it possible
for people to build the beta's on their existing 4.3 system (using
distro packages). If I now move the FindKDevPlatform.cmake to kdelibs,
this will and can happen only in trunk/, it'll not be found anymore when
installing kdevplatform on a 4.3 system.

Possible solutions I can see:

- copy the find-module also to the 4.3 branch and have kdevelop depend
  on the next 4.3 patch release. I don't like this as its not a bugfix
  commit and depending on a patchlevel release is not nice
- copy the find-module to kdelibs/trunk and kdevelop/trunk so we have a
  duplicate until kdevelop depends on KDE 4.4. I don't like the
  duplicate-part obviously..
- Move the file to kdelibs/trunk and make kdevelop depend on KDE 4.4.
  Thats going to frustrate quite some users.
- Copy the file to kdelibs/trunk and leave it in kdevplatform until we
  require KDE 4.4. This is going to create a file conflict for
  distributions, so not very nice either.

Did I miss one that works better than option 2? Else I'll do that one.
We (the kdevelop team) haven't done a final decision on wether we want
to ship our first release with KDE 4.4 and also not wether that release
will require KDE 4.4 or will still work with 4.3 (probably the latter
though as we don't have any code requiring newer kdelibs or Qt).

Andreas

--
You need no longer worry about the future.  This time tomorrow you'll be dead.