KDE/kdebase/workspace

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Oct 11 18:21:02 CEST 2009

On Sunday 11 October 2009, you wrote:
> > > 2. Module that depend on kdebase/apps. We would have to create a cmake
> > > file for it like KDERuntime.cmake and port everything.
> >
> > On what in kdebase/apps/ do these programs (which ones ?) depend ?
>
> For one nepomuk-kde on some Konqueror Menu iirc. I will provide a more
> complete list AFTER we decided if we make the requirement to install all
> three kdebase modules into the same prefix (I have to recreate my build
> environment to check more modules. i stopped with nepomuk-kde last time
> before scratching it).
>
> If we do this is a non issue. If we do we however will never know if the
> intended separation of kdebase is done correctly / cleanly. But that's
> probably ok and acceptable.
>
> > > 3. Modules that do find_package(KDE4) but want
> > > find_package(KDE4(Workspace|Apps| Runtime?). find_package(KDE4) is
> > > really find_package(KDE4libs) if we install kdelibs separately from
> > > kdebase.
> >
> > If this is inside trunk/KDE/, we can fix it, otherwise it's basically a
> > bug in the cmake files of that project.
>
> Or a bug about where the code resides in kdebase.
>
> > > Many of the modules in 1-3 will be out of our control. 3rd Party apps
> > > so we will be unable to fix them.
> >
> > Yes, we can only fix what is in trunk/KDE/, for everything else it's up
> > to the author to do it right.
> >
> > Maybe you should bring this issue up on kde-core-devel ?
>
> I will. But only if we have a decision on what is supported by kde and what
> not. If we don't have people will look puzzled and say "I don't think it's
> supported, i won't  (fix it| care for|??) and i can't fault them for it.
> Currently when i do changes to make something work because of me installing
> kdelibs / kdebase into different prefixes i get no or that kind of
> reaction: "Non Issue", "Will change nothing" etc. .
>
> First the decision. Then i will start to fix stuff. No decision means for

Yes, but IMO k-c-d is a better place to come to that decision, there are more
developers there (here it's mostly David, Thiago, Apaku and me and maybe a
few more).

> me we do not support splitting kdelibs, kdepimlibs, kdebase/* in any way
> because the status quo is it doesn't work. As i said that's ok for me but i

(sorry to ask again) Do you mean installing the modules into separate
directories or installing parts of the modules into separate directories ?