Problem with dependencies

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Nov 6 19:27:18 CET 2009

On Friday 06 November 2009, Volker Krause wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 November 2009 22:20:50 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > >
> > > got another one, I was out of the office for a few days and 'svn' just
> > > froze for still unknown reasons, which blocked the automatic builds
> > > completely for a few days.
> >
> > So ctest was hanging in updating from svn ?
> > Can you please file that on public.kitware.com/Bug as bug/feature request
> > for cmake/ctest ?
> > It should probably fail with some timeout.
>
> I got another hang tonight, apparently not related to svn this time. Of
> course, this always happens when I don't have any time to investiage it,
> I'll try to get a backtrace and report a bug next time, I somehow suspect
> I'll have plenty of opportunities for that :-/

> > > yes
> >
> > Can you post your script or put it somewhere (e.g. kdesdk/cmake/scripts/)
> > ?
>
> eval `dbus-launch --auto-syntax`

I mean, can you post the whole script ?

> > > I haven't had time yet to try it, but looks reasonably easy to adapt to
> > > by setup.
> >
> > What you need to run the script:
> > you need one checkout of the modules you want to build during the
> > Nightly, since these provide the ctest script which will drive the build.
> > Additionally you need the KDECTestNightly.cmake script from
> > kdesdk/cmake/modules/. And of course you have to adjust the paths for
> > your system (i.e. which cmake, CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH and where to install the
> > compiled stuff). This should basically be it.
>
> Looks like those scripts allow much finer control of the process than my
> current 'ctest -T Nightly' :)

Yes :-)

> btw, do you happen to know if/how I can do some filtering on the coverage
> data? It currently also includes moc files and other generated code, which
> is useless IMHO. It's already quite useful despite all of this though, I've
> already spotted two unit tests that were not completely executed :)
>
> I also need to get a supression file for valgrind, most of the reported
> issues there are not in our code.

I have myself never done this yet, so I can't help here. I suggest you ask on
cmake at cmake.org. The filtering of coverage data might be a feature request,
not sure something like this exists.
Valgrind, no idea where to get such a file from.

> > > I've switched my kdelibs builds to that one, and to nightly instead of
> > > experimental. If that works, I'll adjust the others as well and add the
> > > missing modules.
>
> There should be nightly builds of libs, pimlibs, base and pim now, as well
> as kdesupport/akonadi and extragear/pim still going to the old dashboard.
> I'll change the first one next, to include all of kdesupport and to report
> to my.cdash.org.

Cool :-)

> > I switched the kdepimlibs one now also. I changed the nightly start time
> > to 20:00:00 CET. This is comfortable at least for me, since with this
> > start time I can start the build at some point in the evening and have my
> > computer shut down once it has finished the build, so it doesn't have to
> > run all night long.
>
> What effect does that time have btw? My builds run at 2am IIRC, and seem to
> be completely unaffected by the time set there.

It specifies the time from which the sources will be taken for the Nightly
build. If you don't have an up-to-date CTestConfig.cmake (which comes with an
update), you will not notice. So it may be one day later.