KDE/kdepimlibs

Pino Toscano toscano.pino at tiscali.it
Tue May 12 10:54:32 CEST 2009

Alle martedì 12 maggio 2009, Andreas Pakulat ha scritto:
> On 11.05.09 23:23:25, Pino Toscano wrote:
> > Alle lunedì 11 maggio 2009, Christophe Giboudeaux ha scritto:
> > > SVN commit 966746 by cgiboudeaux:
> > >
> > > As mentioned by Alex when KDEPIMLIBS_INCLUDE_DIRS was created,
> > > installing the kdepimlibs CamelCase headers in the same dir as the
> > > kdelibs ones is not a good idea. (different package -> different dir).
> > >
> > > They will now be installed in include/KDEPIMLIBS.
> >
> > I don't understand the logic behind this move.
>
> For one thing, it makes sure we don't get name clashes, which is
> particularly bad as CMake will just happily overwrite existing files
> without further notice.

If there is a name clash, then this won't solve anything, as doing
#include "clashingheader.h"
(with no path, assuming you added it in the include path).
And still, did we actually have this issue, yet?

> > Currently, we have the following situation:
> > - all the .h files from any KDE modules go to $prefix/include
>
> KDevPlatform and any public API from KDevelop plugins all go into
> $prefix/include/kdevplatform/$library and
> $prefix/include/kdevelop/$plugin
>
> So its not "all" KDE modules :)

Actually you've just proven my point, because kdevelop _does_ install them in
$prefix/include, just organized them in a subdir.
The right comparison would have been if kdevelop installs them in let's say
$prefix/kdevelop-include.

> > - before this commit, all the CamelCase includes would go
> > $prefix/include/KDE, from any KDE module (eg kdelibs, kdepimlibs,
> > kdebase-workspace, kdegames, etc)
> > But now kdepimlibs differs and will install its CamelCase includes in a
> > different location. I don't see them conflicting with kdelibs (or other
> > modules) ones, so... why?
>
> Not now, but what about the future? IMHO _all_ modules should do the
> same as kdepimlibs does. _No_ library should ever install headers
> directly into $prefix/include, they should _always_ be in
> $prefix/include/$library - IMHO. And thats also what distributions
> patch into their package anyway.

Again, you did not understand me.
I'm not speaking about the direct installation of .h files in
$prefix/includes, but the installation of CamelCase headers for kdepimlibs,
which before were in $prefix/include/KDE (which _is_ "namespaced" enough
already) to $prefix/include/KDEPimLibs.
Isn't $prefix/include/KDE "namespaced" already?

--
Pino Toscano