KDE/kdepimlibs

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue May 12 08:42:41 CEST 2009

On 11.05.09 23:23:25, Pino Toscano wrote:
> Alle lunedì 11 maggio 2009, Christophe Giboudeaux ha scritto:
> > SVN commit 966746 by cgiboudeaux:
> >
> > As mentioned by Alex when KDEPIMLIBS_INCLUDE_DIRS was created, installing
> > the kdepimlibs CamelCase headers in the same dir as the kdelibs ones is not
> > a good idea. (different package -> different dir).
> >
> > They will now be installed in include/KDEPIMLIBS.
>
> I don't understand the logic behind this move.

For one thing, it makes sure we don't get name clashes, which is
particularly bad as CMake will just happily overwrite existing files
without further notice.

> Currently, we have the following situation:
> - all the .h files from any KDE modules go to $prefix/include

KDevPlatform and any public API from KDevelop plugins all go into
$prefix/include/kdevplatform/$library and
$prefix/include/kdevelop/$plugin

So its not "all" KDE modules :)

> - before this commit, all the CamelCase includes would go $prefix/include/KDE,
> from any KDE module (eg kdelibs, kdepimlibs, kdebase-workspace, kdegames,
> etc)
> But now kdepimlibs differs and will install its CamelCase includes in a
> different location. I don't see them conflicting with kdelibs (or other
> modules) ones, so... why?

Not now, but what about the future? IMHO _all_ modules should do the
same as kdepimlibs does. _No_ library should ever install headers
directly into $prefix/include, they should _always_ be in
$prefix/include/$library - IMHO. And thats also what distributions
patch into their package anyway.

Andreas

--
You are not dead yet.  But watch for further reports.