rebranding windows only kdelibs kdewin32 cmake module to kdewin

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Wed Jun 17 09:59:34 CEST 2009

Alexander Neundorf schrieb:
> On Wednesday 10 June 2009, Ralf Habacker wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> in recent svn there is a windows only kdewin32 package containing stuff
>> required by kde packages.
>> Because the name indicates a limitation by using the '32' in the name
>> there is a migration in work to rename it to a more generic name kdewin.
>>
>> The required changes of this migration are currently limited to the
>> kdelibs cmake build system.
>>

> I think it looks good.
>
> Just a question now that you are renaming it from KDEWIN32 to KDEWIN:
> -are you sure you want to keep the name all-uppercase, i.e. KDEWIN and not
> maybe KDEWin ?

FindKDEWin.cmake sounds good.
> -or even make the name somewhat more expressive than "KDEWIN", e.g. I don't
> really now what that library actually contains

from the readme:

KDEWin is a supplementary library and provides supplementary tools which
are
required for compiling KDE applications on Windows.
The library provides posix related definitions and functions which are not
available on supported windows compilers and SDK's.
The tools (png2ico, svg2ico) are used by the cmake buildsystem to support
windows application icons and to add specific vista manifests to
applications
(mt for mingw and vs2005).

> -is the stuff in KDEWIN KDE-specific or can it be used independently from KDE
> (or Qt)
the tools depends on qt and makes only sense in relation with kde. The
more kde code uses qt functions for previously unix only code, the
lesser functions of the library are used.
> ?If so, maybe a different name without the "KDE" in the name might
> make sence ?

no
> -or is the stuff very specific,
yes
> and maybe specific to KDE4, so that it would
> make sense to name it "KDE4WIN" ?
if you refering to the project name -  it will always be the same, so
no, for the  shared library name see below
> This would make is easier if a new incompatible version might be needed for KDE 5 ? (e.g. moc is still named moc
> since Qt 1, although the versions from Qt 1, 2, 3 and 4 are incompatible,
> naming them "moc", "moc2", "moc3" and "moc4" would have made this much
> clearer).

currently there are no plans on windows to mix different major kde
versions, so there is no need for versioned dll.

Regards
 Ralf