rebranding windows only kdelibs kdewin32 cmake module to kdewin

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Jun 15 20:14:10 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 10 June 2009, Ralf Habacker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in recent svn there is a windows only kdewin32 package containing stuff
> required by kde packages.
> Because the name indicates a limitation by using the '32' in the name
> there is a migration in work to rename it to a more generic name kdewin.
>
> The required changes of this migration are currently limited to the
> kdelibs cmake build system.

I think it looks good.

Just a question now that you are renaming it from KDEWIN32 to KDEWIN:
-are you sure you want to keep the name all-uppercase, i.e. KDEWIN and not
maybe KDEWin ?
-or even make the name somewhat more expressive than "KDEWIN", e.g. I don't
really now what that library actually contains
-is the stuff in KDEWIN KDE-specific or can it be used independently from KDE
(or Qt) ? If so, maybe a different name without the "KDE" in the name might
make sence ?
-or is the stuff very specific, and maybe specific to KDE4, so that it would
make sense to name it "KDE4WIN" ? This would make is easier if a new
incompatible version might be needed for KDE 5 ? (e.g. moc is still named moc
since Qt 1, although the versions from Qt 1, 2, 3 and 4 are incompatible,
naming them "moc", "moc2", "moc3" and "moc4" would have made this much
clearer).