FindQt4 and other CMake module duplication

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Jul 8 18:14:05 CEST 2009

On 08.07.09 16:08:10, Mike Arthur wrote:
> 2009/7/8 Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>:
> > That usually happens when there are bugs in the FindXXX modules in cmake,
> > in particular in the cmake version we require (current 2.6.2 I think). Or
> > if the cmake version we require doesn't ship a suitable FindXXX module we
> > need.
>
> > If you are sure that switching to the one coming with the minimum required
> > cmake doesn't cause any bugs, then sure.
>
> Ok, I'd be tempted to go down this route. How sure do I need to be? Is
> it sufficient to try and remove it and see if I can still do a clean
> build on 2.6.2 and 2.6.4 (the most recent)?

If "clean build" means all of KDE svn (well, at least extragear I think),
then I guess yes. Please make sure to also test things like installing
kdelibs and all the modules into separate prefixes.

> >> If not, can these be updated to
> >> the latest versions from CMake after each CMake release?
> >
> > You can merge in relevant changes, sure, they're writeable by anyone.
> > However you need to make sure to use only features which are available in
> > the minimum required cmake version.
>
> Again, I think this leans towards the approach of deleting our stuff
> that's duplicated in the minimum version of CMake we support.

Right, but you need to study the files and be aware of possible
side-effects. Basically you can only remove a file if its 100% the same
code.

Andreas

--
You will be married within a year.