Optional vs Required Dependencies

Mike Arthur mike at mikearthur.co.uk
Tue Dec 15 15:58:59 CET 2009

Hey guys,

What constitutes an optional vs required dependency in CMake? I know I'm not the only person in the world that gets a little bit depressed every time I go to build KDELibs and there's Yet Another Dependency that I need to go and chase (and fix the buildsystem for).

Would it be possible to make some of our required dependencies into optional ones and just not build the directories that require them? Is this a possibility in other components but just not KDELibs (e.g. KDEBase).

With the rebranding of KDE as the KDE SC I think there's an argument to be made to allow users to install parts of KDE without needing to match every (sometimes irrelevant) dependency).

Thoughts?
--
Cheers,
Mike Arthur