Preference for finding a kde module

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Oct 2 00:18:07 CEST 2008

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 01.10.08 23:59:51, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>> Yes, I think your third option is what I would prefer: the package installs a
>> FooConfig.cmake file with all the necessary information and macros, and then
>> we need only a quite simple FindFoo.cmake to find and load this file.
>
> Leaves me with two questions:
> a) a simple find_file( FooConfig.cmake )+include( FooConfig.cmake ) is what
> you mean with "simple FindFoo.cmake"? Why not leave that to cmake and
> instead uses the Config-Mode of find_package?

The intention of the find_package config-mode is to avoid FindFoo.cmake
altogether.

> b) If FindFoo.cmake is to be used, should this be installed by the module
> Foo, or the modules Bar+Baz should both have a copy (or preferably move the
> copies to a common dependency)?

If one is provided it should be copied into each project that needs to
find the module, or distributed with a common dependency such as kdelibs
or CMake.  This is the reason I created the config-mode of find_package,
so that no modules need to be distributed to find Foo.

-Brad