automoc4

Matthias Kretz kretz at kde.org
Thu May 8 09:57:25 CEST 2008

On Thursday 08 May 2008, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Patch attached (automoc.patch): I'm all for committing this.
>
> If you consider it ok, feel free to commit.

Will do.

> > I'm using this with the other patch against kdelibs/cmake - which makes
> > the rest of KDE use the automoc from kdesupport.
>
> I want to have a look at that in the next day.
> Actually we must not remove anything from FindKDE4Internal.cmake (as e.g.
> KDE4_AUTOMOC), since this breaks source compatiblity.
> I'm not sure about the KDE4_SET/GET_TARGET_PROPERTY(), I don't think
> anybody else uses them.
> But anyway, I want to see if I can make it so that automoc4 is optional for
> a few weeks and if it's not found the one from kdelibs is used. This way
> developers will have more time to update.
> So please don't commit this one yet.

Yes, I considered my patch good enough for testing, not more.

I considered the removal of KDE4_AUTOMOC_EXECUTABLE from
FindKDE4Internal.cmake as a change of internals. Sure, everything is
accessible to others since this file is installed, but I would expect nobody
to use that specific variable other than with the macros in KDE4Macros.cmake.
And since FindKDE4Internal and KDE4Macros go together, if the latter stops
using KDE4_AUTOMOC_EXECUTABLE, the former should be free to remove the check.
IMHO.

Same for KDE4_SET/GET_TARGET_PROPERTY(), that's an internal macro and I think
I didn't document it either. I think it can be removed.

Perhaps there needs to be some policy to mark macros as internal
or "compatibility will be kept". For now nothing seems to be internal.

http://Vir.homelinux.org/
Matthias.Kretz at urz.uni-heidelberg.de