status of reduced link interface ?

Dirk Mueller mueller at kde.org
Thu Jul 24 14:27:57 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 23 July 2008, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> you committed a lot of link fixes in the last days.
> Since I don't have the compile-power to check it myself, does everything in
> KDE/ now link correctly again ?

everything but kdepim it seems, thats a bigger pain to get right. you can
watch the status at http://developer.kde.org/~dirk/dashboard

Thats what I wanted to propose as well, you just wrote the email faster. :)

> And, what do you think about 4.1 branch ? It would be nice if we would have
> it there too, as soon as possible.

It is possible to backport the changes, but there might be new link failures
in unusual configurations.. tricky to get right in that short amount of time.

> Oh, I just noticed 4.1.0 has been tagged yesterday. So if we do this for
> 4.1.1, we'll kind of break compatibility between 4.1.0 and 4.1.1.

we "only" break source compatibility, not binary compatibility. so its
possible to do that for 4.1.1.

Which part do you want to have backported? the link line fixes or the actual
dependency reduction patch (with the LINK_INTERFACE_LIBS)?

> P.S. did I miss a reminder email "4.1.0 will be tagged tomorrow" or
> something like this ? This would have been nice. Or is the average
> developer now expected to subscribe to kde-releaseteam ?

No, but knowing about freezes. There was no announcement on kde-cvs-announce
this time because we often got complains about the mail "flood". Well, seems
like it is necessary after all.

Greetings,
Dirk