Running unit tests on OSX

Marijn Kruisselbrink m.kruisselbrink at student.tue.nl
Sat Jan 5 16:02:00 CET 2008

I noticed while trying to run some unit tests I'm sure ran fine a couple
of months ago, cmake/ctest was no longer able to find the executables
for them on OSX. Some more investigating showed that some change a few
months ago (the one that deprecated kde4_add_test_executable) changed
the semantics of kde4_add_unit_test to no longer always imply a NOGUI,
but have it as an optional parameter. With this change the executables
no longer end up in ${EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH}/${_test_NAME} but in
${EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH}/${_test_NAME}.app/Contents/MacOS/${_test_NAME},
so obviously the executables can't be found when running 'make test'. Of
course the easiest fix is to simply change all calls to
kde4_add_unit_test and add a NOGUI parameter, but I doubt that was
intended. I'm not sure if it makes any sense to have GUI unit tests, but
since it apparently is allowed, I think it should also be possible to
run them. The attached patch should make this possible I think, but
perhaps I'm missing something and this should be fixed some other way?

Marijn Kruisselbrink