CPack Packaging for Windows/Mac (and possibly Linux)

Mike Arthur mike at mikearthur.co.uk
Sun Aug 24 23:25:03 CEST 2008

On Sunday 24 August 2008 22:07:27 Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> I proposed the same thing a few months ago but it was rejected back
> then ( http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.buildsystem/3127
> ). Maybe you'll be luckier than I was.
Doesn't look to me like you were rejected but instead that the problem was
somewhat misunderstood. There is no reason we can't use CPack for Mac and
Windows and just leave DEB/RPM packaging up to the distributors.

In my experience using CPack however I'm pretty sure we could get the package
generators in such a state that they could be used downstream. Maybe it is a
pipedream but it would be nice if some of the pre/post install scripts lived
in the KDE repository.

My main concern and focus really is on Windows/Mac however. I'll probably have
more of an opinion about the Linux packaging when we start rolling RPMs and
DEBs at Mendeley and I see how feasible the support is.

--
Cheers,
Mike Arthur