Support CMake-Version-Variables

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Aug 7 21:32:32 CEST 2008

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>On 07.08.08 19:59:52, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >since we require Cmake 2.6 now I think we should support CMake's
>> >"integrated" way of version-checking. CMake 2.6 supports this:
>> >
>> >find_package(KDE4 4.2.0)
>> >
>> >and I'm proposing the attached patch to make this work. This removes
>> > the need for setting an extra variable before calling find_package,
>> > still KDE_MIN_VERSION is given authority over the cmake-way for
>> > backwards compatibility reasons.
>> >
>> >Objections against comitting this?
>>
>> Are you sure? This reads Boost_*.
>
>Damn, sorry. Here's the right patch :)
>
>There's one drawback of this whole thing I just noticed: When somebody
>puts:
>
>find_package(KDE4 4 REQUIRED)
>
>in his CMakeLists.txt that won't work unless he runs KDE5. I'm not sure
>how to best fix this, one way would be to require at least MAJOR+MINOR
>version and else use 3.9 as default. The other would be to "0" as
>default value for minor.

Then I don't approve of your patch :-)

If the user didn't set anything, the minimum version is 4.0.0 (no one
should be using pre-4.0 releases anymore).

If the major is set, it has to be 4. Otherwise, error out.

If the minor isn't set, set min version to 4.0.0. If it is set, set
minimum version to 4.x.0.

We shouldn't need dependencies on patch-level releases.
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358