recent KDE buildsystem changes that affect OSX?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Apr 14 22:11:09 CEST 2008

On Monday 14 April 2008, Benjamin Reed wrote:
> I've not had a chance to do any building of KDE stuff for a month or
> so, and I'm trying to get caught up.  I've installed the latest CMake
> release candidate (2.6.0-rc8) and have started building, and it looks
> like something deep in our macros has changed recently, I'm now unable
> to build basically anything above kdelibs.

Ok, we really should get nightly builds for the more "exotic" platforms (OSX,
FreeBSD, Solaris, Windows).

> I get a whole ton of errors like this:
>
> CMake Error at runtime/kcmshell/CMakeLists.txt:9 (install):
>   install TARGETS given no BUNDLE DESTINATION for MACOSX_BUNDLE executable
>   target "kcmshell4".
>

> First, on Mac OS X, "bundle" has 2 meanings, it's a general term for
> directories of resources (ie Foo.app/Contents/blah
> Foo.framework/{Headers,Resources,Version}) and also for a loadable
> module library.
>
> My suspicion is that this is the latter, not the former, but I wanted
> to confirm.
>
> Is this just a cmake 2.6 issue?  Or has something changed in the way
> some of the base kdelibs/etc. macros have changed since I last tried
> to build?

Yes, this looks like a cmake 2.6 issue. Which means we could modify our stuff
so it works, but the goal is that cmake 2.6 doesn't require modifications, so
let's find out what exactly goes wrong.
cmake 2.6 can also generate application bundles and library frameworks and
install them.
That's what the bundle destination is for.
I don't have a mac around to test.
Can you please create a small testcase to reproduce this ?
Something like

add_executable(hello MACOSX_BUNDLE main.cpp)
install(TARGETS hello RUNTIME DESTINATION bin
                      LIBRARY DESTINATION lib
                      ARCHIVE DESTINATION lib)