New TechBase for Documenting our CMake Stuff

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Sep 19 04:31:13 CEST 2007

Hi,

On Tuesday 18 September 2007 09:22, Allen Winter wrote:
> Oh, now I get it.  cmake already has the --help-man, --help-html, --help
> options. But you want to:
>  1) add a new --help-docbook option

So is docbook the format we would want to have or is there something else
which can serve as generic markup format ?

>  2) extend the help options to look in a specified dir to extract even more
> help info

Maybe the code could check also look in the directories listed in
CMAKE_MODULE_PATH and generate documentation for the files found there. This
documentation should be put into an own help "page" "Custom modules" or
something like this (cmake cvs generates one all-in-one man page and man
pages split into commands, compatibility commands, properties and variables,
modules).
I didn't check yet whether CMAKE_MODULE_PATH is available when running cmake
for generating documentation.

Any change for this won't make it into any cmake 2.4.x release anymore, but
will be in 2.6.0. But I think having an additional feature only available if
you have a very recent cmake version is ok (actually there is no other
option).

Bye