New TechBase for Documenting our CMake Stuff

Allen Winter winter at kde.org
Tue Sep 18 15:22:52 CEST 2007

On Monday 17 September 2007 10:49:55 pm Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Monday 17 September 2007 09:52, Allen Winter wrote:
> > FYI:
> >
> > I started a new page on TechBase for documenting all
> > our KDE-specific variables, macros and stuff for CMake.
> >
> > http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_and_CMake_Together
> >
> > Help with this page is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > So far I mostly copy+pasted from
> > kdelibs/cmake/modules/KDE4Defaults.cmake
> > kdelibs/cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake
> >
> > We should also document; FindFoo macros;
> > command line variables;  env variables; etc
>
> Yes.
>
> This is something which all cmake based projects could use. cmake has code to
> generate documentation from the module files present at cmake build time.
>
> I think it would be a good idea to enhance cmake so that you can point it at
> some directory and it will generate the documentation for the module files it
> finds there. Currently it can generate the documentation in plain text, man
> page and html format. If this is not good enough, a 4th format, which should
> be something generic like docbook or so could be added.
>
> What I want to say, instead of putting effort into developing some custom
> script or so it would be better to try to come up with a design and patch for
> cmake which implements what we need and from which all cmake users can profit
> (and by this help making cmake the buildsystem of choice for more people).

A little confused here...

Oh, now I get it.  cmake already has the --help-man, --help-html, --help options.
But you want to:
 1) add a new --help-docbook option
 2) extend the help options to look in a specified dir to extract even more help info

Good ideas.

Yes, it would be wonderful if we could run 'cmake --help-docbook trunk/kdelibs/cmake/modules'
and turn that into a beautiful set of html pages we could hang someplace.