make install

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 21:45:52 CEST 2007

2007/10/5, Brad King <brad.king at kitware.com>:
> David Faure wrote:
> > On Tuesday 02 October 2007, Brad King wrote:
> >> There is alot of discussion in that bug report.
> >>
> >> The comparison of files is not for speed on installation...it's for not
> >> changing timestamps of already installed files and causing all *other*
> >> code using the installed files to rebuild, which is potentially even
> >> slower.
> >
> > Yes. The real solution is a dependency from the installed file to the file-to-install, so
> > that the file-to-install isn't installed if it isn't newer than the already-installed file.
> > And then, when that is implemented, thre is no need for comparing files in order
> > to avoid changing timestamps, since you get for free by not installing the file at all :)
>
> This has now been implemented in CMake HEAD:
>
> http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=3349
>
> Repeat installations are now lightning fast.

Sweeeet!
Do you have any release plans? I'm happy already with CVS HEAD, though.
Somebody mentioned that it would also be nice if one could suppress
the "Up-to-date: <file>" lines. It's a one liner to hardcode. I don't
care much about it myself, but for now I'm running a CMake that
doesn't show the up-to-date lines.
The idea is that you can see at a glance if the file you wanted to
have reinstalled has actually been reinstalled. Not that this had ever
failed for me :)
Thank you, and please consider this suggestion. I can make a patch if
you want. Your command-line system probably is manageable for me, and
the actual suppression of output is a piece of cake.