kde4_add_test is not sufficient

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Jun 7 09:00:21 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 06 June 2007, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 05.06.07 19:33:55, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > >Hi,
> > >
> > >I'd like to know wether its expected that one needs both kde4_add_test
> > >and add_test to make tests work even if KDE4_BUILD_TESTS was set to off?
> > >
> > >If one doesn't tell cmake via add_test() that a testcase exists the make
> > >test target doesn't find any tests, even after building them via make
> > ><testname>. I think add_test should be included in kde4_add_test, or is
> > >there a reason why this is not done?
> >
> > Because I forgot about it when I wrote the macro, most likely.
>
> So that means add_test can just be added to kde4_add_test?

No, I don't think so. Not all test programs are unit tests that can run automatically.

All those interactive GUI test programs need to be built with kde4_add_test
(so that you can use "make krulertest"), but shouldn't be run automatically
by 'make test', so we don't want to call add_test for them.

The naming is a bit unfortunate IMHO. "kde4_add_test" is called this way
to look like "kde4_add_executable", i.e. "build this test program"
(which could be automated or interactive). But CMake's "add_test" means
"run this automated test", and the two macros look too much alike which
leads to confusion.

Maybe kde4_add_test should be renamed to kde4_add_test_executable
at least (like kde4_add_kdeinit_executable).

To solve your problem, we could have kde4_add_unit_test I suppose,
which would do both (kde4_add_test_executable + add_test).