Qt static libraries - pkgconfig again

Holger Schröder holger at holgis.net
Fri Feb 23 23:34:37 CET 2007

On Friday 23 February 2007 23:18:04 Christian Ehrlicher wrote:
> Holger Schröder schrieb:
> >>
> >> May I suggest then that we together standardise on a dependency file for
> >> static libraries (and platforms where such a thing is necessary)? More
> >> or less like the libtool .la file.
> >>
> >> CMake will need it anyways for supporting static builds of other
> >> applications.
> >
> > well, pkg-config is available on win32, at least that is what
> > http://pkgconfig.freedesktop.org/wiki/ says, although i haven´t tested it
> > yet.
> >
> > so what about this option: for qt 4.2 we leave things as they are, and
> > for qt 4.3 the trolls install .pc files on windows too, and we use them
> > under linux and under windows ?
>
> pkg-config is available on win32, but it's only used in msys environment
> (where you have a linux-like directory layout) -> the location of the pc
> files is not defined on windows. A path can be added with
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH (afaik), but imho this just makes the whole kde
> compilation more complex than we gain advantages from using pkg-config
> on win32.

perhaps we should keep the future in mind. i think it would be good, if we
agree on a directory layout for the installation of kde on windows under a
prefix. but the user should be able to unpack the kde package into any
directory on the windows machine and have a working installation. and right
now there are still some limitations in kde, which make this impossible, like
the paths in kde4-config are hardcoded.

perhaps pkg-config could help us there too.

> Christian

Holger