how to build generated sources in parallel with out linking them together?

Stephan Kulow coolo at kde.org
Wed Feb 21 20:18:23 CET 2007

Am Mittwoch, 21. Februar 2007 18:41 schrieb Alexander Neundorf:
> On Wednesday 21 February 2007 15:02, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > coolo and I are wondering how to add a custom target, that when invoked,
> > builds a lot of generated sources (consisting of a couple of custom
> > compile defines and an include statement) in parallel (up to the usual
> > make -j parallelism level) and does not link them together (because
> > linking does not work).
>
> What doesn't work ?
> Shouldn't it be possible to build a library out of them ?

The work "build" here is completely useless - what is "building a library"? to
me it's linking - and this is exactly what we want to avoid. We're only
interested in the compiling.

BTW: is it possible to INCLUDE() a generated file? I wasn't able to write a
custom command/target that would generate an include statement.

Greetings, Stephan