Problem with detection of KDE version (why is $KDEDIR/bin/kde-config used?)

Frank Osterfeld frank.osterfeld at gmx.de
Sat May 13 20:22:19 CEST 2006

Hi,

when I tried to configure kdepim after the latest snapshot update, I got the
following error:

ERROR: the installed kdelibs version 3.5.2 is too old, at least version 3.9.0
is required

This is because the kde-config from my 3.5 installation is used instead of the
one in the KDE4 path:

KDE4_INCLUDE_DIR                 /opt2/kde4/include
KDE4_KALYPTUS_DIR                /opt2/kde4/share/apps/dcopidl
KDE4_KCFGC_EXECUTABLE            /opt2/kde4/bin/kconfig_compiler
KDE4_KDE3SUPPORT_LIBRARY         /opt2/kde4/lib/libkde3support.so
KDE4_KDECONFIG_EXECUTABLE        /opt2/kde-3.5/bin/kde-config
KDE4_KDECORE_LIBRARY             /opt2/kde4/lib/libkdecore.so
[...]
KDE4_MAKEKDEWIDGETS_EXECUTABLE   /opt2/kde4/bin/makekdewidgets
KDE4_MEINPROC_EXECUTABLE         /opt2/kde4/bin/meinproc

(Note that all other libs and executables are set correctly)

For compiling, I use my main user running KDE 3.5, but with KDEDIRS, PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to my kdelibs4 snapshot installation. Well, I forgot to
set KDEDIR accordingly, and that's the reason: CMake looks for
KDE4_KDECONFIG_EXECUTABLE in $KDEDIR/bin. Setting KDEDIR to opt2/kde4 fixes
the problem.

Is this the intended behavior? Isn't KDEDIR deprecated? Could it just use the
kde-config found in PATH, as it apparently does for the other executables?
Note that my setup worked just fine before the latest snapshot update.

Regards,

Frank