Problems with path search order

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Mar 28 23:11:48 CEST 2006

A Dimarts 28 Març 2006 23:04, David Faure va escriure:
> On Tuesday 28 March 2006 21:36, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > >That has worked for ages (since i began developing for KDE), is your
> > >recommendation to make my (and lots of people more) life harder?
> >
> > No, easier. It happens all the time that someone gets a compilation error
> > because an incompatible version of the KDE libraries was found
> > in /usr/lib and brought in during linking or running one of our helper
> > programs.
> >
> > I had it this weekend again. My build was complaining that it couldn't
> > find a Mandriva-specific symbol inside libkio.so.4.
>
> Yep it was happening to me too, with the old buildsystem, whenever some
> $(KDE_RPATH) was missing somewhere, or worse, when the order of "foo.la
> $(LIB_BAR)" in LDADD was wrong... Too many hidden side effects there....
> So Albert, if it worked for you, it's because others like me had fixed up
> Makefile.ams for such issues before you got to compile them ;)

Well, we all know you rule ;-)

But that's what i mean, it can be fixed, because we have had it working in the
past and asking people to remove their default KDE installation from /usr/lib
is "too much" imho.

BTW, now that cmake devels agreed my patch is correct could we get it
commited?

Albert