Problems with path search order

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Mar 28 23:04:23 CEST 2006

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 21:36, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> >That has worked for ages (since i began developing for KDE), is your
> >recommendation to make my (and lots of people more) life harder?
>
> No, easier. It happens all the time that someone gets a compilation error
> because an incompatible version of the KDE libraries was found
> in /usr/lib and brought in during linking or running one of our helper
> programs.
>
> I had it this weekend again. My build was complaining that it couldn't
> find a Mandriva-specific symbol inside libkio.so.4.

Yep it was happening to me too, with the old buildsystem, whenever some $(KDE_RPATH)
was missing somewhere, or worse, when the order of "foo.la $(LIB_BAR)" in LDADD was
wrong... Too many hidden side effects there....
So Albert, if it worked for you, it's because others like me had fixed up
Makefile.ams for such issues before you got to compile them ;)