nightly and continuous build setups

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Fri Mar 24 13:52:52 CET 2006

At 04:02 AM 3/24/2006, David Faure wrote:
>\
>> In cmake, it would be better to just make it a cmake option that you specify
>> in at compile time.  Is there a reason you do not want to do that?
>
>Am I right that setting this option will trigger a full recompilation of kdelibs?

No, you are not right.   Unless the option changes a compile flag that is passed
to the rest of kdelibs or a configured header file, nothing should recompile but
the new stuff.

>It seems strange to me that we would need N kdelibs-global options for the
>N optional programs in it...
>
>A related request: when working on foo.cpp and foo.h, I like very much that with
>automake or unsermake or hand-written Makefiles I can type "make foo.o" in order
>to recompile only foo.cpp, and not all the files that depend on foo.h. Sure those files
>will need to be compiled later as well, but in order to spot compile problems in
>the code I'm writing, it's foo.cpp that I want to recompile first, after each edit.
>Can this be done with cmake? I guess that with the Makefile backend it's only a matter
>of figuring out which Makefile and which target to call, but at a first look it wasn't
>obvious :)

You can do that.  You can do that.  Just cd to the directory of the target that
contains foo.o and type make help, it should give you a list of things you can
build.  One of them should be foo.o.

-Bill