nightly and continuous build setups

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Mar 24 10:02:31 CET 2006

On Friday 24 March 2006 03:36, William A. Hoffman wrote:
> At 06:43 PM 3/23/2006, David Faure wrote:
>
> >I fixed the katepart regression test to not run it when kdelibs isn't installed yet,
> >let's see if that was enough.
> >
> >> http://public.kitware.com/KDE/Testing/Sites/matt.rogers.name/Linux-Archlinux-gcc4.0.3/20060323-1939-Continuous/BuildError.html
> >
> >khtml's testregression is a rather special build, a developer tool in a way.
> >It shouldn't be built by default, but rather by a special target.
> >In the old buildsystem this would mean "make check" wouldn't build it,
> >but "make testregression" would. Can we do something similar with cmake?
>
> In cmake, it would be better to just make it a cmake option that you specify
> in at compile time.  Is there a reason you do not want to do that?

Am I right that setting this option will trigger a full recompilation of kdelibs?

It seems strange to me that we would need N kdelibs-global options for the
N optional programs in it...

A related request: when working on foo.cpp and foo.h, I like very much that with
automake or unsermake or hand-written Makefiles I can type "make foo.o" in order
to recompile only foo.cpp, and not all the files that depend on foo.h. Sure those files
will need to be compiled later as well, but in order to spot compile problems in
the code I'm writing, it's foo.cpp that I want to recompile first, after each edit.
Can this be done with cmake? I guess that with the Makefile backend it's only a matter
of figuring out which Makefile and which target to call, but at a first look it wasn't
obvious :)