cmake: make Qt4 qmake available via PATH

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Mar 23 17:22:03 CET 2006

Michael Olbrich wrote:
>What I mean is, it _can_ be changed. Debian has modified
>mkspecs/linux-g++/qmake.conf:
>QMAKE_MOC               = $$[QT_INSTALL_BINS]/moc-qt4
>QMAKE_UIC               = $$[QT_INSTALL_BINS]/uic-qt4
>
>The question is, how can a buildsystem like cmake figure out which
>moc/uic qmake would use. That way we can be sure that header/libs/tools
>are all from the same qt version.

This is Debian's problem. Qt installs a meta object compiler called "moc".
If you rename it to "moc-qt4" or "yet-another-precompilation-compiler",
it's your problem.

I'm sorry, we cannot support every small change out there. It was bad
enough trying to detect automake/autoconf & friends when distributions
started installing 2, 3 or even 4 different versions of those tools!

Besides, this is only happening because Qt 4 changed all the library
names. Since we don't have libqt.so or libqt-mt.so, distributions started
thinking that they can install the development files for *both* libraries
in the same prefix. And while the libraries don't clash, there are header
files to take into account, and other tools.

So, in my vision, installing them into the same prefix is asking for
trouble. Renaming the executables is even worse!

Put them into /opt or /usr/lib. This is how some distributions solved the
problem in Qt 2 vs Qt 3 times. Why not do it again?
  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway