How to find qmake to find QT4

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Tue Mar 21 18:18:18 CET 2006

At 12:02 PM 3/21/2006, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>William A. Hoffman wrote:
>>That seems a bit harsh.  For example, my build and install of qt-copy
>>would not work in that case.   There are potential users that would not
>>have root access, and may want to install qt into a home directory. And
>>pkg-config would not know anything about those installs would it?
>
>Set PKG_CONFIG_PATH:
>
>$ echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH
>/home/tjmaciei/troll/qt-4.1-build/lib
>
>But, yeah, it shouldn't be the only one. Some systems may not have
>pkg-config at all.
>
>What if pkg-config is found but pkg-config can't find Qt4?
>--

I sort of like the idea of just putting qmake in your path.
Once you find the right qmake, you can use qmake to find all the
rest of qt.  What is the official qt build time environment supposed
to be?   I was under the impression that the correct qmake had
to be in your PATH before you can build qt applications.  At some
point on the list it was stated that a proper qt environment would
be required for cmake to work correctly.   Is there an official
qt build time environment?

If that is true, then I would argue that cmake should look for qmake
in the PATH, and if not found there, stop looking.  Depending on
pkg-config does not seem very platform independent.

-Bill